Embassy of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
1708 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036

Tel: 202-467-6490
Fax: 202-785-3130

Embassy Hours *
Monday - Friday
9:00am - 5:00pm

Immigration Office
Monday - Friday
Passports may be collected from Monday - Friday, 10am-4pm.

* The embassy will be closed on these embassy holidays.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click each question to view the answer, or click here to view or close all of the answers.

A. A machine readable passport has certain biographical data entered on the data page in accordance with standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), DOC 9303, Part 1, and MRP’s. The holder’s personal details e.g., Name, Date of Birth, Nationality and Passport Number are contained in two lines of text at the base of the photo page. This text appears in the form of numbers, letters and chevrons (<<) and can be read in the machine readable zone.

A. The ICAO has mandated all member states, of which Trinidad and Tobago is a member, to begin issuing Machine Readable Passports no later than April 1, 2010. The most recently set date of completion is 31st December, 2011, which is the date to which extensions are being granted

A. The Machine Readable Passports can be obtained from the following Missions:

Trinidad and Tobago Embassy – Washington, DC
Trinidad and Tobago Consulate – New York

Trinidad and Tobago Consulate - Miami
Trinidad and Tobago Consulate – Toronto, Canada
Trinidad and Tobago High Commission – London UK
Trinidad and Tobago Embassy – Caracas, Venezuela

Machine Readable Passport applications may also be submitted to the following six offices in Trinidad and Tobago:-


Port-of-Spain San Fernando Scarborough
Sangre Grande Chaguanas Pt. Fortin


  1. A completed application form – ALL sections to be filled out
  2. Evidence of Citizenship of Trinidad and Tobago such as:-
    • Computerized Birth Certificate (If your Manual Birth Certificate previously required an affidavit, that Birth certificate and Affidavit should be provided), Registration Certificate, Naturalization Certificate or Adoption Certificate with a pin # and accompanied by a letter by the Adoption Board in support of the Birth Certificate. (Note: If you have previously lost your Trinidad and Tobago Citizenship you MUST present your Restoration or Reacquisition Certificate)
  3. Previous Passport
  4. ALL marriage certificates - Divorce or Death Certificates of spouse
  5. Evidence of parents citizenship (in cases of citizenship by descent) – ALL documents of parents inclusive of Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Affidavits, Passport to establish their identity and citizenship relative to offspring
  6. Evidence of the date of any other citizenship – e.g. U.S. Naturalization Certificate
    • For residents of the USA, the Alien Registration Card,
    • For non-residents another form of identification other than your Passport


(Also see checklist)

A. Five years for all applicants (adults and children)

A. No. All first time applicants for the Machine Readable Passport must appear in person to be photographed at the Embassy in keeping with ICAO specifications. Subsequent renewals of the MRP will facilitate applications by mail

A. You should make some arrangement to acquire your computer generated birth certificate as the pin number is required for the Machine Readable Passport. Your options may include contacting a relative in Trinidad and Tobago to apply to the Registrar General’s Department on your behalf, or, or submitting an application via the New York Consulate.

A. There is a 4-6 week waiting period. In the interim you will be allowed to retain your previous passport, if it is valid, until the new book is issued. You must, however submit original passport to be cancelled at that time along with the original receipt issued to you. Application forms are available on this website. An Emergency Travel Document or an extension can be completed on the same day that your application for an MRP is processed.

A. No you cannot, since the state of New York does not fall under our jurisdiction. The following States fall under the jurisdiction of the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago, Washington DC:-


Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Delaware
Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas
Maryland Michigan Minnesota Missouri Montana Nebraska
Nevada New Mexico North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon
Puerto Rico South Dakota Utah Virginia Washington DC
Wyoming Wisconsin West Virginia Washington US Virgin Islands

A. The cost is:
Regular 32 pg book - $60.00 US
Business 48 pg book - $76.00 US
Emergency book - $ 68.00 US
Replacement of valid Lost, damaged or mutilated book - $180.00 US

Person wishing to have their passports mailed to them are required to pay an additional $19.99 U.S. postage fee. Fees are to be paid in the form of money order/ postal order/ bankers check made payable to the respective Embassy or Consulate General of Trinidad and Tobago.

A. Any Passport that is lost should be reported immediately.
B. Lost passport notification form is available on line and should be submitted along with the regular application form for a passport and relevant documents. A notarized statement and a police incident report is also required.


A. The Trinidad and Tobago Government has taken a decision to set its own deadline of December 30, 2011 to phase out the old passport. However, passports which are not machine readable and valid until 24th November 2015 can still be used for travel, in accordance with the international Civil Aviation guidelines which state as follows:

Passports issued after the 24th November 2005 which are not machine readable, contracting States shall ensure the expiration date falls before 24th November 2015. It also states that non machine readable passports valid up to the date or just before that date are still valid for travel.

A. Only if you are the holder of an ARC. Holders of an ARC are not citizens of the USA. Persons who became citizens of the USA before 1988 may have lost their T&T citizenship.

A. Because all of your information is now tied to the new Machine Readable Passport Pin No., and because your previous documents presented were not scanned and computerized. This situation is now being corrected and would not be necessary in the future.

A. Only if an extension of passport is being granted, you have lost your passport or your previous MRP is now full or expired.

A. Persons who live in the USA and would like to have their passports mailed to them MUST do the following:

  • Post a letter detailing name and address where the passport is to be sent
  • Enclose an $19.99 stamp
  • Enclose the passport to be cancelled
  • Enclose the receipt to be stamped

A. One in Trinidad and Tobago is acceptable. Recommenders must be citizens of Trinidad and Tobago as identified by T&T identification, whether residing in T&T or elsewhere. The Recommender must be able to identify the applicant and be identified by Embassy officials.